Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Shopsmith cabinet

So I finally got up the nerve to build a cabinet for under the Shopsmith.   My first challenge was getting the wood home, as the wood wouldn't quite fit in the back of our Rav4.   I went back in to the store and had them rip my lumber further so I could get it in.   The unfortunate part was the temperature, wind, and boards that kept sliding off the seat and out the back door.  It was not very amusing but I eventually got it all home.   

So in this learning experience I got out my dado blades and worked on my first dado's.  I was doing pretty good until I redid a cut and then set everything up again... the table slipped slightly and I created this ventilated masterpiece:

So it was back to cutting and getting a replacement peice cut out.  

While working I discovered a potential hazard while working.   It would be very remote possibility, but better safe than sorry.   

The cupboard for glue was bare so I dug around and found my son's old school glue.  

As we mocked it up I had a great opportunity to sneak a photo of my lovely wife holding everything together.  

I stopped one night to get some straight router bits and picked up this brad nailer from Harbor Frieght... wow!   That made things so much faster.  The directions say to use screws but my tests in the plywood weren't very favorable.  If it was 3/4 it might have been better.  

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Thursday, October 24, 2013


This is really going great.  The paint is rolling on very nicely.  

Starting on paint

So here comes the color.

Clean and power washed

So the next step was cleaning them out and removing decades of grime... A good excuse for a new power washer.  

Cabinet redo

So we decided it is time to de-clutter and rearrange a bit in the garage.   I had these nasty old cabinets and have started to work at redoing them.  

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My Best Woodworking Assets

Ok -- I'll rephrase my original posting which maliciously disappeared into the electronic void yesterday in a flurry of "don't talk religion" messages. The crux of my message was the value of a lifetime partner, and because I quoted scripture in relationship to how I believe my deity taught it should be done . . . people were very offended.

Get over yourselves.

Again, I'm going to reiterate the message but put it into succinct woodworking terms.

My wife and I are working on a multitude of projects, and now with spring here and warm weather, we're about to embark upon outside fixes and upgrades. One thing that I've learned over the years is the power of two people, either working together or working against one another. For a number of years I experienced the "against" part in a failed marriage. My garage became a refuge for me to escape and unfortunately a lot of things around the house didn't get done. Now fast forward to now.

I've been living in my house ten years now, and for the past 5+ or more, it's needed painting. It's in horrible condition now. I almost ended up in another job position a few years ago and was going to re-do the exterior, but in the midst of that I decided to not take the position . . .but I had already ripped down my shutters. You can only imagine what my house looked like then. There are a lot of other projects that have been on the back burner for a number of years.

Over a year ago I met a wonderful woman with Christ at the center of her life and we've been together ever since. I know I made a lot of mistakes over the years, and because of those learning experiences, it's made me into the man I am now. I am very thankful for that, and I'm very blessed that my wife enjoys spending time with me in the garage or wherever in the house working on things together. So far we've built many projects, painted several rooms, and now we're moving forward on the exterior things for spring/summer.

When we were working together on the latest wood project, the overhead cabinets in the garage, she came up with many good ideas -- as she had on the garbage can holder and other items. That's why I consider so many more things important other than what tools I have available. I've learned over the years, that if you put your mind to something, and you have support in doing what you believe in, you can generally accomplish far more than someone who has it all, yet has nothing. I'm still just learning at the ins and outs of woodworking, but I think I've learned enough making mistakes in other areas of my life that I can share . . . and if that offends anyone, then so be it.

“A man who doesn’t stand for something will fall for anything." - Peter Marshall